Chaos broke out in New York City’s Times Square Sunday evening as a crowd scrambled after mistakenly believing they had heard gunshots.
New York City police officers were called to the scene to investigate and determined that no shots had been fired, a department spokesperson told Fox News. He said that a male suspect is in custody and that his charges are pending.
NYPD’s Manhattan South Precinct said that a fight between two individuals resulted in the overturning of a planter and a police barricade.
No additional details were given and an investigation is ongoing.
The department had earlier urged the public to avoid the area of West 46 Street and 7 Avenue.
Police further advised the public to expect delays in the “surrounding area.”
Two shootings in Times Square this year have left residents understandably on edge. In May, an armed suspect opened fire in Times Square, injuring three people, including a 4-year-old girl from Brooklyn and two people visiting from out of town. Their injuries were non-life-threatening.
Just weeks later another shooting in Times Square injured a 21-year-old visiting Marine. He was transported to an area hospital in stable condition. The suspected gunman, a 16-year-old male, later surrendered to police.