(CNN)The new Department of Homeland Security Request for Assistance for additional US troops and other logistical support on the southern border has been sent to the Pentagon but has yet to be signed by acting Secretary of Defense Pat Shanahan, according to two US defense officials.

The request arrived late Wednesday and is being reviewed. There are no guarantees that all the requests will be approved, and the Department of Defense has previously rejected requests, pending DHS edits.At the Pentagon last Friday, Shanahan told reporters he did not “have a finite number” in terms of how many additional troops would be sent but that the Pentagon was “looking at anticipating” what DHS needs prior to the receipt of a formal request for assistance.”Where DHS loses its capacity is in the migrant family processing, when you think about their finite ability to do apprehensions they’re really kind of trapped back in the processing side of things,” Shanahan said, “so working with the joint staff, we’re finding a way to how do we do more monitoring and detection for them, do we maybe take that on as a mission.”This is a breaking story and will be updated.

Source Link:
https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/25/politics/dhs-border-troops-pentagon/index.html

[-0.847915]

Comments

comments

Advertisement