Two women were hospitalized early Saturday in Seattle after a car swerved into a closed section of highway and sped into a group of civil rights demonstrators, police said.

A 27-year-old man was taken into custody and faces multiple charges.

The car drove around a blockade vehicles around 1:40 a.m. before hitting the crowd in an incident caught on disturbing and graphic video. The video shows two figures being struck by a white Jaguar sedan and thrown into the air, landing hard on the pavement.

Summer Taylor, 24, and Diaz Love, 32, were brought to Harborview Medical Center’s intensive care unit in critical condition, a spokeswoman told HuffPost. Love has since moved to serious condition.

She had been live-streaming the demonstration, which was billed as “Black Femme March Takes I-5,” on her Facebook page when the car struck, ending her stream abruptly. In the moments before, people can be heard yelling “car” in increasingly panicked tones.

Sections of the highway have been frequently closed off because of protests, according to a local ABC affiliate.

Trooper Rick Johnson, a spokesman for the Washington State Patrol, tweeted two photos of the car, which showed damage to its front grille and windshield.

Here are two pictures of the suspect vehicle that struck two protesters on I-5 this morning. Investigation into motive and point of entry in to I-5 are still under investigation.

— Trooper Rick Johnson (@wspd2pio) July 4, 2020

The suspect was identified as Seattle resident Dawit Kelete, according to a police report obtained by The Associated Press. He was taken into custody and faces multiple charges.

“At the very least, he is looking at vehicle assault charges, felony hit-and-run, but those could be upgraded depending on the progress of the investigation,” Washington State Patrol Capt. Ron Mead said in an early morning news conference.

“We don’t know if it’s a targeted attack, but that remains the focus of our investigation,” Mead added.

Mead urged protesters to reconsider gathering on the highway, saying it is difficult to guarantee their safety.

The brutal incident comes two days after authorities shut down an area of Seattle that had been claimed by protesters as a police-free encampment dubbed the Capitol Hill Autonomous Zone. The zone lasted nearly a month until a series of violent attacks ramped up pressure to dissolve it.

RELATED… Second Shooting In 48 Hours At Seattle Protest Zone Leaves 1 Wounded "Seattle has been liberated": Republicans celebrate the end of Seattle's autonomous zone. Fox News is Lying About Seattle’s ‘Autonomous Zone’ HuffPost testPromoTitleReplace testPromoDekReplace Join HuffPost Today! No thanks. HuffPost Important conversations are happening now. Add your voice! Join HuffPost Today! Download Calling all HuffPost superfans! Sign up for membership to become a founding member and help shape HuffPost’s next chapter Join HuffPost

Source Link:

{"code":"rest_not_authorized","message":"Your site uid or site key is invalid, please check your settings before continuing.","data":{"status":401}}